Wednesday, November 16, 2011

simi valley stable bees

Today brought me to simi valley A new home owner bought a nice parcel with a small stable on it. They have a daughter and a pony. But also bees. [CLICK ON THE PICTURES FOR LARGER VERSIONS]
overview
tackroom entrance
Look at the sign above the door. The bees are in the double wall left of the door.
outside
right side of the door hinge, you see the bee entrance
Opening it up.OMG, it's huge! They said the previous owner had a hive removed less than a year ago. These must have been here "a while"
A lot of _mean_ bees. Even with my mean bee suite (tripple layer) they stung me at least 10 times. Even through my leather glove !
After I had taken the comb out and put it my boxes. I filled a super & a medium with this hive
I still don't have a great working bee vac, so i scooped them up and dumped them in the hive outside
kind of busy

Let's hope i have the queen


*UPDATE* Here is picture for tanarill :-)

Isn't he sweet ? That night I went back to checkup on the bees
A lot of the bees still on the outside of the box. I left the top open at a crack. But they didn't go in. It was 52F outside when I took this picture.
Small part of the colony was still in the corner of the old spot where the hive used to be. Will check today.

2 comments:

  1. Big hive :o

    I only *wished* for a pony when I was a little girl . . .

    ReplyDelete