Thursday, May 5, 2011

Cut out in ventura

I did my largest cutout so far today.
Underneath the floor of closet in a bathroom
We had to cutout the floor to access it.
 Photo taken from the right hole towards the comb
 After removing most of the comb.
I filled almost 3 medium boxes (28 frames) with the comb & got some excessive honey !



*UPDATE*
I was in a bee suit from 10:30 till 4:30. except 2 glasses of water no break.
It was 85F / 29C in the shade and a _lot_ hotter in the small area where this was taking place.
I really needed a bee-vac for this, which is what i am going to make *NOW* after doing 2 swarm catches today.
I didn't get the queen and was not able to scoop up enough of the bees. I am afraid the brood will be dead by now :-(

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks like a huge one Danny. I need/want to get out there with you on some of these again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, that is spectacular!!! Comb still looks pretty new. Maybe it has been there less than a year. Hope you got the queen. How are you dealing with the stragglers? Vacuum? Leaving a box?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I left the 3 boxes outside the entrance. I really couldn't get the majority of the bees out. I scooped up lbs of bees, but probably not the queen :-(
    See my update on the blog posting.

    ReplyDelete